Monday, September 28, 2009

Mortification at its Best

Hello My People,

Just wanted to let you in on one of the most horrific moments I have ever experienced as a bartender.  This past weekend at work everything was going well until- da-da-da-dah, one of our regular clients requested their favorite glass of wine.  After my boss gets me a new bottle of wine from his office, I'm doing my thing getting the corkscrew ready BUT my hands were slightly wet (I am a bit of a germaphobe hence I am constantly washing my hands).  Anywho, I was going to grab the bottle to open it when to my astonishment I didn't have a good hold on the bottle.  Yeeeaaah, you guessed it. The bottle goes tumbling down and everything went in uber slow motion.  Crash- Bam- Boom- Splatter!  The bottle makes the loudest sound of crushing glass I have ever heard!

If you are a bartender, server, hostess, etc. or have just eaten in a restaurant, you know what happens when you hear the loud sound of glass breaking.  Everyone and their mother stops and looks your way.  It got extremely quiet and still, and other customers were just walking in when it happened (out of all the days it should have been slow in that damn place).  I don't get embarrassed easily but I must tell you, at that point in time I was MORTIFIED!  Oh, it gets better.  After the initial shock of the mini earthquake of glass, I have about five of my coworkers helping me clean up the damn wine spill.  They were probably thinking to themselves, why do we have to help clean up after her mess (they were really nice about it though).  Another coworker must have seen the look on my face, because she asked me if I was ok and then told me to breath.  However, my boss couldn't help but make me feel worse, he says, "How did you drop this, pray tell?".  Pray tell? Who uses that kind of English in day to day conversations.  But a moment later, I guess he felt bad for making me feel bad, that he mentions a time when he had made the same mistake.  On top of all that, my boss didn't have another bottle of the wine to give to the customer, I could not have felt more like an ass than I did at that moment.

So the moral of the story being, never attempt to open a bottle of wine with wet hands!  However, I could not leave you with a sad ending.  Nothing could make a person feel better than a good, tasty drink.  I have to tell you, I am not much of a drinker, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to have just one.  Therefore, I have a recipe for one of my favorite drinks:


Kamikaze (This means "Divine Wind" in Japanese)
1 1/2 Oz. Vodka (Any choice is fine Smirnoff, Belvedere, Grey Goose...)
1/2 Oz. Triple Sec
1/2 Oz. Lime Juice


You can also decrease the amount of Vodka to 1 Oz. and increase Triple Sec and Lime Juice to 1 Oz. each.  Shake all ingredients in shaker with ice, strain into a shot glass or coctail glass, or build in a rocks glass with ice; garnish with a lime and serve.  Now that's gooood! : d  Doesn't that put a smile on your face.  Enjoy! Muah!

Cami (=^_^=)

****PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY****


A little history on Kamikaze:  It is believed to have been created in Yokosuka, Japan and was named after the pilots in WWII, where the airplanes were used as explosives by aiming it at specific targets to cause a huge explosion, with the pilot having little regard for his own life.  Put that in your back pocket!

No comments:

Post a Comment